[RE-wrenches] Flickering LED lights on and Outback Dual 7248 VFX system

Exeltech exeltech at yahoo.com
Mon Jan 6 17:56:16 PST 2014

There may also be a technical aspect of the dimmer that's adding to the flicker, depending on the type of dimmer(s) in use.

Some dimmers use a device called a "silicon-controlled rectifier" .. or "SCR".  They allow only half of the sine wave to pass.  Half-wave power wasn't very noticeable when used with incandescent lamps due to the continued "glow" persistence of the filament.  However, LEDs react [essentially] immediately, and the flicker is very apparent.  Final thought .. compressors use the most energy during the compression stroke.  Actual current draw varies with each stroke of the piston.  Check not only the battery connections, but look to see if the loads are on the same circuits as the lamps.  If in fact the inverter AC output voltage IS dropping due to DC-side issues .. and the large AC loads happen to share the same circuit as the lamps .. this would make any flicker that much worse.

Dan