[RE-wrenches] Smappee anyone?

Kirk Herander kirk at vtsolar.com
Mon Dec 29 09:20:37 PST 2014

Happy Holidays,

 <http://blog.stefangrosjean.net/2014/08/30/find-my-appliances/>
http://blog.stefangrosjean.net/2014/08/30/find-my-appliances/

Here is a link to the inventor's website which explains the theory behind
the "Smappee" energy monitor; i.e. that each load has its own unique
electrical use signature "DNA" and that (over time) Smappee can identify
such signatures and track them. This without the need for plug-in modules or
individual current transformers on each load, which we have done in the
past.

This originated in Europe, I believe the Netherlands, and was launched in
the US 12/10/14. They have both a droid and iphone app, I found no reviews
for the iphone.

Interesting in concept, but if you read the inventor's blog it sounds like
it will take time for the monitor to actually sort out multiple load
signatures. And then the homeowner has to label them as furnace, fridge,
etc., for the monitor only knows a particular signature is unique, it can't
identify an appliance on its own. So it sounds to me a lot of potential
tinkering would be required for it to ultimately be useful. Definitely not a
plug-and-play item. Anyone perchance have experience with this? Thanks.

Kirk Herander

VT Solar, LLC

Proven PV provider since 1991

www.vermontsolarnow.com