[RE-wrenches] AGM discrepancy

Drake drake.chamberlin at redwoodalliance.org
Fri Aug 15 07:57:30 PDT 2014

Hello Wrenches,

A batch of Full River L-16 DC 400-6 batteries came in, which were
purchased at a very good price from a distributor. Of the 16
ordered,14 came in blue cases and were labeled 415 AH and 2 came in
grey cases and were labeled as 400 AH.

Calling my distributor and Full River tech support, many different
stories have been told. At this point, it seems that the grey cases
were discontinued in 2011. According to my supplier, the two types of
batteries are identical inside, only the case and AH designation are different.

Interestingly enough, the grey case batteries hold a slightly higher
voltage than the blues. The blues (which are still wired together
from their maintenance charge) show 12.96V for 12 V sets. The grey
set shows 13.1 V. This is after at least two days off the charger.
All the batteries were charged together in a 12 V series-parallel
configuration. Is this voltage normal for AGMs?

I'm considering sending the two greys back with two of the blues (one
24V set). Can the grey case batteries still be good if they were
manufactured in 2011?

What would you do in with the grey batteries? Any insight is welcome.

Thanks,

Drake

Drake Chamberlin
Athens Electric LLC