[RE-wrenches] "PV Wire" without the outer jacket--no worries?

Mick Abraham mick at abrahamsolar.com
Thu May 15 18:30:50 PDT 2014

Hello, Mechanix~

I've recently learned there are two flavors of 600v "photovoltaic wire". I
thought all "PV wire" must be normally insulated plus jacketed with an
outer PVC layer but now I see some material marked as "photovoltaic wire"
but it only has a single layer of XLPE slightly thicker than the insulation
on good ol' USE-2.

Can any of you address the practical difference between the double jacket
and single jacket versions of "PV wire"? Specifically, would the single
jacket version still be appropriate for ungrounded installations?

Thanks all around. The Wrench List is the bomb!

Mick Abraham, Proprietor
www.abrahamsolar.com

Voice: 970-731-4675