[RE-wrenches] Solar World shattered module

Dave Palumbo dave at independentpowerllc.com
Mon Apr 21 15:32:01 PDT 2014

Wrenches,

I have a customer with one SW 230 poly V2.0 frame (top mount) module that
has shattered glass. It is on a DPW TPM10 pole mount. She noticed it the
other day and does not think that it was hit by anything. I agree that is
unlikely based on the site conditions.

Other than by a falling tree, thrown rock, or twisted frame - is there
another way that glass shatters on a 65 degree tilted pole mount like this?
We installed the system 2 years ago. The module was on the lower corner of
the array.

.         Is it likely that this modules frame was being pressured by the
module(s) above it? TPM has two rows of 5 modules in landscape, so this
bottom module has 4 modules mounted above it. Again it is a top mounted DPW
pole array.

.         Or, is there another way that glass shatters on this type of
module?

I have not visited the site yet, just received the phone call today.

David Palumbo

Independent Power LLC

462 Solar Way Drive

Hyde Park, VT 05655