[RE-wrenches] wrenches] Golf Cart Array

john cvsolar at aol.com
Fri Apr 11 21:23:15 PDT 2014

Bob-O
   I have a golf cart going on 5 years with 3 Sunwize 80 watt panels.  The only time we have plugged it in to a charger was a few days when the cart was working all day long each day for 3 days in a row at SolarFest picking up the trash and recycling.  We use it on our sheep farm the rest of the year and never plug it in.  We go up and down a 1 mile driveway with 500' vertical.  Just did our first run this morning after having it sit in
a snow drift all winter. We just quit using our snowmobile to traverse the driveway and now we are in mud season.  Cart made it down and partway back up before getting stuck in the mud.  We have a Midnite Solar BCM to keep tabs on the battery and it has weathered 3 years outside mounted on the dash. I still need a charge controller... now I just keep turning the array on and off with a DC breaker in the battery compartment.  With something like the KID, most any panels would work.  We have kind of cooked the batteries from time to time... definitely got equalized.  The MNBCM is reading low voltage right now as it thinks we are a 48v system.!
You can see a picture of it on my personal Facebook timeline.

John Blittersdorf
Central Vermont Solar & Wind