[RE-wrenches] 208 V 240 in residential applications

william at millersolar.com william at millersolar.com
Sun Feb 9 12:20:29 PST 2014

Friends:

I feel sort of stupid asking this, but it has never come up for me before:

I have inherited an off-grid install gone-wrong.  The system is 208 three
phase with Sunny Boys and Sunny Islands on a mini grid.  It was designed as
three phase.  I presume this was to increase capability with stacked SMA
inverters.

Will the household appliances (small cooktop, booster pump, well pump) run
as well on 208 as 240?

I always do my research before wasting all of your time.  The web delivered
a lot of "forums" wherein opinions were expressed, but little hard data from
bona fide professionals.  I also did some calculations, see below.  I
downloaded a manual from a random electric range and saw it was specified as
240 or 208.

Watts

4000

Volts

240

208

Amps

16.67

19.23

% Difference in amps

13.33%

I am fairly comfortable that this is not an issue, but would like some
confirmation.  Thanks in advance.

William