[RE-wrenches] Solaredge inverters w/ backup generator

Kirk Herander kirk at vtsolar.com
Sat Feb 8 07:32:03 PST 2014

Hello,

I recently posed the question to Solaredge tech support, wondering if their
inverter, in this case a 20kw 480 3-phase, would have any issues if it were
connected to an AC panel backed up by a generator. They told me no problem,
for the inverter's anti-islanding will work if it sees the "generator
frequency" and therefore will not try to push PV power to the panel. But
isn't 60 hz, 60hz regardless of origin? There's got to be more to it than
that. I question this because I asked the same to SMA several years ago and
they were hard-set against connecting Sunnyboys to a panel with generator
backup, so I always would establish the point of interconnection upstream of
the generator feed. Comments? Thanks.

Kirk Herander

VT Solar, LLC

dba Vermont Solar Engineering

NABCEPTM Certified Inaugural Certificant

NYSERDA-eligible Installer

VT RE Incentive Program Partner

802.863.1202