[RE-wrenches] Higher LVR to force full re-charge in small OGPV systems

Eric Youngren ericyoungren at gmail.com
Tue Dec 31 13:34:45 PST 2013

Thank you Allan, Dan and Ray for your suggestions.    This is the kind of
feedback I was hoping for!

I agree that the 75W of PV with 120AH of sealed battery is too low of a
ratio of PV to storage and will not help the batteries last 7 years.
Unfortunately those parts of the design are pre-determined in the bid specs
and I don't think they will allow us to suggest alternatives now.  We need
to win the bid first, then maybe we can suggest some changes..

MPPT would be great but it's just not in the budget for these little
systems, and like Allan says these systems won't ever experience the cold
daytime conditions where MPPT really shines.

Looks like Rogue Engineering in Englewood, CO will be able to customize
their Rhino-10 PWM controllers with the LVD and LVR setpoints we choose.
I'm leaning towards Allan's suggested values of 12.0 for LVD and 13.8 for
LVR.   I am fairly certain that many of the systems will be run til the LVD
shuts them off, so 12V will ensure they will not be too deeply discharged,
and forcing them to wait until 13.8V before reconnect will give the
batteries a chance to get back up to a full SOC before the cycle is
repeated.    Yes they will experience shut-downs, but I think that over
time this approach will help them learn to live within the capacity of the
systems and give the batteries the longest life possible.  That, or they
will figure out how to bypass the load controller and run directly off the
batteries!

I like the Midnite MNBCM battery SOC meter.  It's currently the best 'dummy
light' system monitor out there for small systems like this.   We used them
last year for over 1,000 small systems powering computers in schools in
Tanzania and people seem to understand them easily.     We will include
them in the systems we are offering for this tender.

Thanks again folks!  Lets hope we win the bid!

Eric