[RE-wrenches] Sick pack

Ray Walters ray at solarray.com
Thu Dec 19 10:33:18 PST 2013

You can waste lots of time trying to save an already dieing set of
batteries, or just cut to the chase and install a new set.  L16s are not
a long life battery.  While some folks can baby them and get 10 years,
I've seen failures at less than 5 years.  Compare cycle life; most L16s
are only 600 cycles to 80% DOD.  The new Trojan RE series are 1000
cycles to 80% DOD, but you're also up against the too many parallel
string issue, which always contributes to unequal charging and early
battery failure.  They need a forklift type (2v cells) battery. HUP
Solar One, Crown, Trojan Industrial, or Rolls all make batteries that
are what you need.

R.Ray Walters
CTO, Solarray, Inc
Nabcep Certified PV Installer,