[RE-wrenches] Chloride batteries

Ray Walters ray at solarray.com
Wed Dec 11 13:04:38 PST 2013

Hi William;

My now apparently orphaned copy of Maui Solar Software has Pacific
Chloride Brand batteries listed in its data base that are industrial
flooded lead acid  batteries.  They have very similar performance
parameters as other fork lift batteries like the HUP. I don't have cycle
life info though, but most of those types were rated at 1500 cycles to
80% DOD.  You could estimate the amp hours just by comparing physical
dimensions to another brand.  (I'm guessing from the Pic a 85-27 size?,
about 1375 AH new?)

I've come across a few old 2 v sets like that (Exide, Bulldog, Crown,
IBE, C&D, ????) that all seem to go forever. I would do a 2 hr load test
just to see what the cells do under an extended, heavy load.  You might
have some weak cells, but usually I just keep them in service.  They do
eventually go bad, but it's like a golf cart battery deteriorating in
slow motion:  you have a little more time to shop for your next bank.

R.Ray Walters
CTO, Solarray, Inc
Nabcep Certified PV Installer,
Licensed Master Electrician