[RE-wrenches] Chloride batteries

William Miller william at millersolar.com
Tue Dec 10 21:45:43 PST 2013

  Friends:

Below is a resend of a message from a month or two ago, sent by popular
demand.

WM

I visited an off-grid residence a few weeks ago to evaluate.  They have a
set of batteries that are steel jacketed 2 volt cells that look a lot like
IBE 2 volt batteries.  The batteries are 28 years old.  Although they look a
little rough (dirty, some corrosion on the upper rims of the cases), the
specific gravity readings of these cells looks like those of brand new
batteries!  There are all in the 1.270 range and plus or minus .01.  The
batteries say "Chloride" on the outside with a lightning bolt in the logo.

I was amazed.  Could this be true with 28 year old batteries.  Does anyone
know anything about this type of battery?  Are these standard lead acid
batteries?

We are removing a Heart Interface inverter and installing an Outback
(sideways).  The client has a Trace C40 charge controller connected to a
pretty modest solar array.  I could not recommend he spend the money for a
new FM60 considering how well the C40 is working.  I hope I am giving good
advice.

Anyone have any history they could share on these batteries?

Thanks,

William Miller

PS: I have included a photo.  I rarely do this so I am not sure it will pass
the server.