[RE-wrenches] SW4024 relay spark issue

Ray Walters ray at solarray.com
Mon Nov 18 17:59:44 PST 2013

I've not had good luck on Surrette 5000s actually.  We had a set that
was really problematic early on with battery voltage temporarily
dropping below the inverter lo volt shut off, when a well pump was
started.  They have amp hours rated at the 100 hr rate, and they seem to
behave as expected when the discharge rates are kept to the hundred hour
rate. (19 amps from a 1900ah @ 100 hr rate)
For the problem set, I added another 6 v, and actually created a 54 v
nominal battery bank.  That solved the problem for about 5 years, but
then the lo volt problem crept back up, and they replaced the whole set
at about 6 years as I recall.  This was seriously embarrassing for us,
as it was an expensive battery bank that I had touted as being able to
go 15 years under normal conditions.
They're rated to 1500 cycles at 80% DOD, but again, I only think that's
true at lower discharge rates.  I just never could figure out the
Surrette 5000s, and heard enough other folks having trouble, that we
moved away from them.  At 10 years, I'd say all bets are off that it's a
good bank.  I just had an aging set of L16s with remarkably even cell
voltages, that seemed to perform well under load testing, totally crash,
less than 6 months later.

R.Ray Walters
CTO, Solarray, Inc
Nabcep Certified PV Installer,