[RE-wrenches] Square D Disconnects mounted on the slope of the roof.

Kirpal Khalsa solarworks at gmail.com
Mon Nov 11 10:37:24 PST 2013

Bob O......thank you, you got to the heart of my original question....I am
not questioning the OCPD ratings....just the can mounted at a slope
equivalent to the roof slope.....Typically if we have rooftop OCPD they are
high voltage fuse holders and fuses or the Outback and Midnite solar
breakers.....I haven't actually looked up the temp ratings on those but
have assumed (i know) that they are rated for roof top temps as they are
marketed as combiner box breakers and combiners are often located on the
hot roof next to the modules....Oregon has a rule where many jurisdictions
are now requiring lockable, visible disconnects on roofs for fire fighters
to be able to disconnect the array from the BOS down below from up on the
roof.....In my opinion this is of limited use in micro inverter and
optimizer systems.....but i can see some limited value in high voltage
string inverter systems......I should also note that i am primarily
referring to smaller residential systems.....(~3-10Kw)
>From what i have gleaned from this discussion, Midnite solar has a single
circuit 600V disconnect, (apparently a multi string disconnect as well, I
haven't fully researched that all the way thru yet) DC Sunvolt out of NJ
also has a line of disconnecting combiners which we have used a few times,
and  Crouse Hinds has some jumbo disconnecting combiner boxes that are way
over sized and also over priced.....
Thanks for all your input...

Sunny Regards,
Kirpal Khalsa