[RE-wrenches] Engineered rafters

Benn At DayStarSolar benn at daystarsolar.ca
Wed Nov 6 10:52:30 PST 2013

William
For what it's worth, you may want to check with the rafter  mfgr and/or Eng as it is possible they will not allow holes being drilled into them and you could open yourself up to liability issues.
I have a structural eng who is insisting I squeeze a construction adhesive (such as LePage PL400) into pilot holes before screwing in the lags when attaching to engineered trusses. Yes, an adhesive, not a sealant. It is to reinforce the strength of the engineered truss that you have just drilled into.

Easy feet or other attachments that have multiple lags per attachment point (kinetic flashings have two lags each) are good because they have better/more holding strength if your lag bolt passes thru the structural attachment (a typical lag bolt will stick out about an inch or more past a 2x4 rafter/truss when laid flat, so your lag has less pull-out strength (thread depth). Multiple lags per attachment remedies this.
Or consider installing backboards between the rafters and attaching to them.

benn
Sent from a 'smart' phone, with touch screen keys. Please excuse shortcuts and typos.