[RE-wrenches] SWWP Whisper 200 - looking for a short to ground.

Matt Sherald matt at getpimby.com
Sun Nov 3 11:51:38 PST 2013

Thanks to all who pitched in and responded to my request for help on the Whisper!

Turned out that the problem lay in the down tower wiring.  Two legs were shorting to ground.  Measuring the voltage of each leg to ground should have provided me with 0V, but I was reading voltage to ground on two of the three legs.  I had checked continuity of the down tower wires to ground, but the results did not highlight the presence of a short so I thought the cable was good to go.  It wasn't.
The short blew the Whisper Controller (as well as a second AMP meter that I had installed).  Those familiar will appreciate that we had an old Easy-Wire Power System from World Power Technologies Inc. that we could pull out of retirement.  With a new cable and an old charge controller the Whisper is back in action.

Thanks to all for your time and suggestions!

Matt Sherald
PIMBY: Power In My BackYard
NABCEP Certified Solar PV Installer®
matt at getpimby.com