[RE-wrenches] transformerless inverters and conductor colors

Allen Frishman amfrish at aeonsolar.com
Mon Sep 23 13:30:05 PDT 2013

my 2 cents - As I understand it we need to consider both the Solar Panel and the inverter.

The use of a TL inverter requires the solar panels to be ungrounded which means that neither the Pos or Neg conductors from the solar panel are grounded and therefore no White wire.

We can also use a ungrounded panel on an inverter with a transformer but the color requirements are the same since there are no grounded conductors there are to be no white wires.
An example is the newer Sunpower Panels that are non polarized (neither pos or neg grounded) which can be used with standard transformer inverters.

Make sense?

Al Frishman
AeonSolar
(917) 699-6641 - cell