[RE-wrenches] Church Solar

Mark Richardson MRichardson at NewYorkLightEnergy.com
Thu Sep 12 15:10:34 PDT 2013

No Taxes, No Tax CREDITS...
But a Power Purchase Agreement works nicely in that situation.

[NYLE LOGO SMALL]
Mark Richardson
mrichardson at newyorklightenergy.com<mailto:mrichardson at newyorklightenergy.com>

From: re-wrenches-bounces at lists.re-wrenches.org [mailto:re-wrenches-bounces at lists.re-wrenches.org] On Behalf Of Rich Nicol
Sent: Thursday, September 12, 2013 4:48 PM
To: 'RE-wrenches'
Subject: Re: [RE-wrenches] Church Solar

Hi Alex
A local Unitarian Church in my area installed solar where the generation credits were group net metered. Everyone who invested in the system (or bought a panel) that was mounted on the church had the proportionate amount of the credits applied to their utility bill at their residences. They were advised by a CPA that they could take the 30% federal tax credit from IRS form 5695 on their personal returns as owners of a portion of the system. IRS form 5695 reads like a residence, but not necessarily a main home, rather than a system remotely installed and invested in to me.  Some accounting professionals are more aggressive in their interpretations to find tax breaks than others.
I always advise that as solar installers we can point toward tax incentives but recommend to customers that they talk to an accountant about application of the tax credit.
Thanks
Rich