[RE-wrenches] Church Solar

Rich Nicol rich at solartechvt.com
Thu Sep 12 13:47:34 PDT 2013

Hi Alex

A local Unitarian Church in my area installed solar where the generation
credits were group net metered. Everyone who invested in the system (or
bought a panel) that was mounted on the church had the proportionate amount
of the credits applied to their utility bill at their residences. They were
advised by a CPA that they could take the 30% federal tax credit from IRS
form 5695 on their personal returns as owners of a portion of the system.
IRS form 5695 reads like a residence, but not necessarily a main home,
rather than a system remotely installed and invested in to me.  Some
accounting professionals are more aggressive in their interpretations to
find tax breaks than others.

I always advise that as solar installers we can point toward tax incentives
but recommend to customers that they talk to an accountant about application
of the tax credit.

Thanks

Rich