[RE-wrenches] Outback efficiency?

jay peltz jay at asis.com
Sun Aug 18 15:56:21 PDT 2013

Hi Ray,

#1, I don't see any improvement. But then I find it rarely used anymore with many small loads ( cell phone chargers etc), coupled with cyclic loads and 4 watt LED's etc.
Its got to be a really small system to have this be active.
I find that if people really want to use this that I'll wire up the remote on/off and they can use that from their bed at night.

#2.  It depends on how they measure the efficiency.  Since the no load is around 20 watts, if you have a 20 watt load, that makes a efficiency of like 50%, not including the inverter loss's of 6-10% which isn't really helpful in any sort of calculations.
I usually use 90% ish ( I think they publish 94% as peak eff.)  as my INV design efficiency ( sometimes it'll be lower, sometimes higher), and then add in the idle watts x 24 hrs day.

Hope this helps,

jay

peltz power