[RE-wrenches] Outback efficiency?

Ray Walters ray at solarray.com
Sun Aug 18 15:01:51 PDT 2013

I have a couple of Outback questions.  On my load analysis sheet, I
include 20 w x 24hr/ day for the inverter's no load draw.
In the past I had very poor luck with the search mode on most inverters,
and found that when I adjusted it so that it came on with efficient
lighting, that the no load draw was still 15 watts.  I've just taken to
disabling search mode, and add more modules.
So question 1: has the search mode been improved in the past 5 years?
question 2:  Is the no load draw most of the efficiency losses, so could
I set inverter total efficiency to say 98%, while keeping the 480 wh/
day  inverter draw?  I don't want to overstate or understate the
inverter losses.

Thanks,

--
R.Ray Walters