[RE-wrenches] Hawker versusu MK

Kirpal Khalsa solarworks at gmail.com
Tue Aug 13 08:26:02 PDT 2013

William.....we have used a set of industrial flooded lead acid batteries
made by a company called Storage Battery Systems (www.sbs*battery*.com)....The
batteries are 2V batteries with 3200Ah capacity....They come with a variety
of warranty options. Our client decided on the 20 year option (5 years
full, 15years prorated)  They have a clear case so you can easily with just
a glance see the level of the electrolyte.....They have tubular plates and
came with all the interconnects which cover any exposed metal at the
terminals once they are hooked up.. except a small hole to insert your
voltmeter leads....They have 4 terminals on each battery so if you need to
run multiple homerun cables you have plenty of plenty of options with out
having to double lug your battery cables on a single terminal. They have
been in operation for almost 4years now without so much as showing any hint
of wear.....While they are expensive they also offer extras such as seismic
racking, spill containment systems, and hydrogen gas level alarms.  The
feeling that i got from this company is that they are more in the
industrial battery market and not so much the renewable energy
market....They are worth a look.....we are really happy with their
product....

More frequently though we use the Rolls Surrette series 5000
batteries...They also have been reliable....we once had a reverse polarity
from the factory so check polarity of each battery before hooking them
up.....These are our main go to batteries when a larger than 800ish Ah
battery bank is called for.  Trojan also has their newer line of industrial
batteries....We have used them a couple times....warranty is not as good as
the Rolls....but they have the dual cases like the rolls and seemed like
good batteries....Both the Trojan and Rolls are supplied with string
interconnects....(make sure to remind your distributor)
We have had to train our distributor to supply good quality stainless bolts
(with sufficient length) with lock washers and washers with all battery
purchases....
Good luck...

Sunny Regards,
Kirpal Khalsa