[RE-wrenches] 2500 W inverter for $300

Ray Walters ray at solarray.com
Fri Aug 9 15:28:38 PDT 2013

These cheapo inverters are nothing new; we've had to sell against them
for over a decade.
Its all about longevity, and how bad life might be with a several week
outage.
Weight is a great, simple place to start.  The quality inverters are
transformer based, and weigh much more.
Which one is going to last longer do they think?
Rather than totally bash the cheapos, I ask what they're going to do
with it: live full time off grid, or just play around with it in their
car.  I'll sell a cheapo here and there because they make sense for low
priority, temporary power.   I have one in my truck.
But if they're living full time on it, the cheapos will become a door
stop (literally) after a few years.
Finally, guarantees don't cover being out of power for weeks.
Last nail on the coffin: they usually are only available in 12 volt.

R.Ray Walters
CTO, Solarray, Inc
Nabcep Certified PV Installer,
Licensed Master Electrician