[RE-wrenches] Tri-Star MPPT

Eric.Bentsen at schneider-electric.com Eric.Bentsen at schneider-electric.com
Wed Jul 24 07:31:48 PDT 2013

Hi Jay,
This has happened to me personally, and to other customers I have dealt
with over the years. In my case, I got my hands
on (4) used Interstate Workaholic L16 batteries. I was unable to achieve
an acceptable SG because the voltage would not
climb above 14V (using 20A charger). I used a clamp-on DC amp meter to
verify a full 20A going into the batteries, but the voltage
 would not climb any higher. It was as if energy was being lost within the
batteries. When I separated the bank into sets of two,
the ratio of current-to-capacity was improved and I was able to equalize
the daylights out of them, and eventually recovered
their performance. I have heard of the condition where the battery has low
SOC, and the charger causes the voltage to increase
very quickly, but I cannot definitely attribute that to sulfation. It
sounds more like an internal open circuit condition. I do know it
usually results in the need to replace the batteries.
Rgds

Eric Bentsen  |   Schneider Electric   |  Solar Business  |   UNITED
STATES  |   Technical Support Representative
Phone: +(650) 351-8237 ext. 001#  |
Email: eric.bentsen at schneider-electric.com  |   Site:
www.schneider-electric.com/solar  |   Address: 250 South Vasco Rd.,
Livermore, CA 94551

*** Please consider the environment before printing this e-mail