[RE-wrenches] Adding similar but updated modules to same inverter

David Katz dkatz at aeesolar.com
Sat Jul 13 10:14:07 PDT 2013

You would get more output for less money if you add an additional module to each string and keep the old inverter, than if you bought a new inverter.
David Katz

Sent from my iPhone

On Jul 12, 2013, at 4:27 PM, "August Goers" <august at luminalt.com<mailto:august at luminalt.com>> wrote:

Hi Wrenches,

I have a client with a small system consisting of 6 SunPower 230s and a SMA SB 3000. Anyway, he wants to add another 6 modules but the closest we can get from SunPower these days is a 245. The new six modules would go on a second string.

Do you think that the slight difference in tracking voltage and current will be significant enough to justify the cost of adding or swapping the inverter? Here is the info for the modules:

SunPower 230 WHT
Vmpp    41.0 V
Impp     5.61 A
Voc        48.7 V
Isc           5.99 A

SunPower 245NE WHT
Vmpp    40.5 V
Impp     6.05 A
Voc        48.8 V
Isc           6.43 A

I imagine that the tracker in the Sunny Boy will be a little off and perhaps the result will be that both strings will be running a few percent lower than they are capable of?

Best, August

August Goers
Luminalt Energy Corporation
o: 415.641.4000