[RE-wrenches] double insulated wire

Bill Brooks billbrooks7 at yahoo.com
Fri Jun 28 18:21:04 PDT 2013

Dave,

To add to your point, the typical way to wire an ungrounded PV system is to
use modules with PV Wire-connect them to homeruns of PV Wire-then transition
at some point to standard wire in raceways. This means that the only change
from a wiring method point of view is to use PV Wire wherever you used to
use USE-2 (like my multiple uses of USE in a sentence?-I think we have the
basis for a new Dr. Seuss book).

Now for my real bombshell-There are no ungrounded PV systems being installed
in the U.S. today that I am aware of. But what about all those non-isolated
"TL" inverter systems? The array cannot be grounded with a "TL" inverter
because the system becomes grounded the moment it connects to the grid. So
is it an ungrounded system or a grounded system. I could easily argue this
both ways and be wrong and right at the same time.

So what is an ungrounded PV system. A truly ungrounded PV system is one
where neither the positive, nor the negative are referenced directly to
earth. This is common in Europe for large inverters. The ground-fault
detection is done by putting an insulation monitor on the array that runs
24/7. You can't put an insulation monitor on a non-isolated inverter system
because it will trip the moment it connects to the grid.

Last bombshell-All grid-connected PV systems currently being installed in
the U.S. are not ungrounded and they are not solidly grounded. They are all
actually employing an alternative to both grounded and ungrounded from
690.41-"shall use other methods that accomplish equivalent system protection
in accordance with 250.4(A) and that utilize equipment listed and identified
for the use " I really love the irony that my friends like John Wiles and
others have been tooting the horn of grounded systems for so long, but our
systems are not solidly grounded (because of the ground-fault fuse). The
more-correct term for our systems is "functionally grounded", but even that
does not fully cover it. I'm writing a document on this presently-I've never
had so much fun with grounded in my life.

Bill.