[RE-wrenches] double insulated wire

Dave Click daveclick at fsec.ucf.edu
Fri Jun 28 11:04:16 PDT 2013

690.35(D) does *not* require PV WIRE be used for the whole dc circuit.
You can use either: (quoting directly from 2008)
1) Nonmetallic jacketed multiconductor cables
2) Conductors installed in raceways, or
3) Conductors listed and identified as PV WIRE installed as exposed,
single conductors

Similarly, I don't believe that the NEC requires red and black color
coding, either, though it makes the most sense given convention.

Note Brian Teitelbaum's 6/3 email about PV WIRE noting that
"double-insulated" is a bit of a misnomer. Some PV WIRE is single-insulated.

DKC