[RE-wrenches] Battery Damage

Larry Crutcher, Starlight Solar Power Systems larry at starlightsolar.com
Mon Jun 10 10:09:17 PDT 2013

You do not provide the length of time the plates were exposed so any response is a guess. The result of plate exposure to oxygen is hardening of the amorphous lead sulfate into sulphate crystals and grid corrosion.

You should just cover the plates with water then fully charge the bank. After that, perform an equalization charge, testing to see if you are increasing the SG of any cells. After this process, fill the battery to the proper level.

The only true test for damage to this bank is also an impractical one: a timed discharge test to measure actual capacity. Since it appears to work fine, I would just continue use.

Larry