[RE-wrenches] Battery Damage

Mac Lewis maclewis1 at gmail.com
Mon Jun 10 05:40:54 PDT 2013

Will,

The plates exposed to air will immediately sulfate.  I'm not sure whether
corrective equalization charging can help dissolve this sulfate back into
solution.  That probably depends how long this occurred and how hard the
sulfate crystals have become.  It's probably worth a try.

Your specific gravity post-equalization can tell you how much of the
sulfate is irretrievable.  Consult your battery manufacturer to see what
the SG should be.

Good luck!

On Mon, Jun 10, 2013 at 6:22 AM, Will White <William.White at realgoods.com>wrote:

>    Wrenches,****
>
> ** **
>
> I have a customer who’s got a 24V off grid system with one string of 12
> two volt, 2000AH Power Battery brand flooded lead batteries.  The bank is
> about four years old and has been working great except the customer forgot
> to water the batteries for an extended period.  When I went out to service
> them the plates were exposed and I had to add about a gallon of water per
> battery.  These batteries have a large amount of water over the plates
> usually so I’m guessing that about 1-2” of the top of the plates were
> exposed which is about 10% of the total plate surface.****
>
> ** **
>
> So here’s the question.  The bank seems to be working fine, is it likely
> that permanent damage was done?  Is there a good way to test for damage?
> Is there anything I can to do mitigate any damage done?****
>
> ** **
>
> Thanks,****
>
> Will****