[RE-wrenches] RE-wrenches Digest, Vol 6, Issue 221

Scott McCalmont re-wrenches at scottmccalmont.com
Fri Jun 7 17:46:55 PDT 2013

Some of the Power-One inverters use an extended scan on a periodic basis to
make sure they are not tracking a local maximum. In essence, they collect
an entire I-V curve, and this can take place as often as every 15 minutes.
The reason why this can cause problems with Tigo optimizers is that is can
bring the string voltage down to a level where it appears that the system
is shut down. Turning off the "multiple MPP scanning function" does not
disable the MPPT of the inverter, just the scan, and allows the two systems
to coexist.

Don, regarding your second point, Tigo does not recommend installing on
partial arrays. There are two parts to optimization: balancing within a
string, and balancing between strings. If optimizers were installed on only
two of three parallel strings, the Tigo system could in fact become
confused because it would be unable to balance the strings.

Regards,
Scott

Scott McCalmont (scott.mccalmont at tigoenergy.com)
Director of Solar Technology