[RE-wrenches] Defective modules

Carl Emerson Carl at solarking.net.nz
Sat Jun 1 19:13:55 PDT 2013

Hi there,

Thin film is still getting bad press after early production suffered
degradation issues way back in the 90's.

There is plenty of evidence that thin film produces at least 10% more energy
because it performs better at temperature and responds better to global
irradiance.

Some brands may be problematic today but this is equally true of crystalline
modules.

Sure the efficiency is down and more area is needed for the same rated power
but some brands are delivering 20% more energy in some climates.

As for degradation, I have seen crystalline BP's with every panel turning
brown and clapping out after just 12 years in the pacific Islands.

So let's be Brand specific and not lump all thin film together and tar it
with the same brush, based on early failures 30 years ago.

There are plenty of thin film Megawatt installations in Europe.

Current issues backed up with hard data would be very useful.

Regards
Carl Emerson

First Solar's thin film is definitely part of the industry's early onset
under performance problem.
With monocrystalline under $1/watt, I just don't understand why big projects
are still going forward with thin film.
I would only use thin film for partial shading, or curved, odd shaped
surfaces.  (RV roofs, not MW plants)
The bean counters are putting too much faith in warranties and spread
sheets, instead of looking at real life long term performance history.  PV's
been around now for several decades; there's just no excuse to keep
repeating the same mistakes over again.

R.Ray Walters