[RE-wrenches] Input Current Imbalance

Corey Shalanski cshalanski at joule-energy.com
Wed May 29 17:01:11 PDT 2013

Wrenches,

I recently noticed something that seems to defy one of my basic
understandings of electrical circuit theory:

Single string input at inverter. Clear skies, full sunlight. With inverter
turned on my clamp meter reads (for example) 5A on positive conductor and
4A on negative conductor.

I've always assumed that the current should be equal at every point in the
circuit.

I've noticed this "imbalance" on several different inverter brands. Has
anyone else ever observed this? Can someone offer an explanation for this
and satisfy my curiosity?

--
Corey Shalanski
Joule Energy