[RE-wrenches] Battery Terminal Connections (WAS GSCM-mini with Honda EM5000SX)

Ray Walters ray at solarray.com
Mon Apr 1 14:12:12 PDT 2013

I've never seen battery connections come loose with thermal activity, as
long as they had a regular split lock washer on.  I've gone back on our
own work that is over 13 years old, and all is still tight. As Allan
noted, I have seen plenty of failures due to untightened, and improperly
crimped connections.  Belleville washers would be nice, as long as
they're not prohibitively expensive.  We used them on certain
connections in Utility scale work.
I still use Vaseline with great results (ala my mentor Windy Dankoff)
but I recently started using Deka battery terminal protection in a spray
on can for higher temp applications where the Vaseline might melt and
run off.

R.Ray Walters
CTO, Solarray, Inc
Nabcep Certified PV Installer,