[RE-wrenches] Cable tray

Mark Richardson MRichardson at NewYorkLightEnergy.com
Tue Mar 26 05:49:11 PDT 2013

Bill,
Thank you for continuing to help adopt more practical and 'user friendly' code1 requirements.
As Glen pointed out, [NEC 2011] 392.10(B)(1)(a) could pose a problem for some AHJ's - even though 690.31(B) allows PV wire in exposed outdoor locations (presumably not in "cable tray").
It is truly counter-intuitive that by efforting responsible wire-management and installing PV wire in "cable tray" it would somehow create a code violation unless it was at least 1/0, and that it would somehow be allowed in a residential application under the same 392.10? It is also interesting to note the definition of Supervised Industrial Installation2  in 240.2 and that all of those conditions are not met in most cases
Just wanted to say again: Thanks for the forward progress!
Mark

1 - I know, I know: "user-friendly code" is an oxymoron J
2 - I could not find a referenced definition of Industrial Establishments

[NYLE LOGO SMALL]
Mark Richardson
mrichardson at newyorklightenergy.com<mailto:mrichardson at newyorklightenergy.com>

From: re-wrenches-bounces at lists.re-wrenches.org [mailto:re-wrenches-bounces at lists.re-wrenches.org] On Behalf Of Bill Brooks
Sent: Monday, March 25, 2013 10:54 PM
To: 'RE-wrenches'
Subject: Re: [RE-wrenches] Cable tray

All,

Here is the language that has been accepted into the 2014 NEC:

690.31(C)(2)

(2) Cable Trays. PV source circuits and PV output circuits using single-conductor cable listed and labeled as Photovoltaic (PV) wire of all sizes with or without a Cable Tray marking/rating shall be permitted in cable trays installed in outdoor locations provided the cables are supported at intervals not to exceed 30cm (12 in.) and secured at intervals not to exceed 1.4m (4.5').

I hope this helps. It is a very big deal.

Bill.