[RE-wrenches] P1 micro performance

Dave Click daveclick at fsec.ucf.edu
Mon Mar 25 08:13:08 PDT 2013

Marco,

> I still challenge those who believe that “some clipping is good” to make their case.

Well, the way you've phrased it, you've made my job pretty easy-- though
it seems to me that several folks have already done this for you.

Some power limiting at some point over the 25-year life of a system is
definitely a good thing. A 25-year life corresponds to about 110,000
hours of daylight. Let's say that you can expect one total hour of those
110,000 in which a Montana system sees 1600 W/m2 (high slope, snow
reflection, edge-of-cloud) while simultaneously experiencing a record
low temperature and 50 mph winds. Would you put a 9kW inverter on your
5kW array to avoid any power limiting ever? Of course not-- you're
substantially increasing system cost for a $0.15 gain.

It comes down to figuring out probabilities and doing some complicated
and annoying math to figure out the best size for an inverter. Or more
realistically, attempting to get high-sample-rate weather data to
simulate array performance at your target location. When you oversize an
inverter, your system will be operating at a lower efficiency, on
average. It increases the cost to the customer not just from the base
cost of the larger unit, but also the larger output conductor and
raceway sizes, the output disconnect, the interconnection
breakers/fuses... and maybe even upsized panelboards that didn't
actually need to be upgraded had you correctly sized the inverters. So
you have to figure out whether the additional production is worth the
increased cost of installation.

Oversizing an inverter may extend its life but I don't know that we'll
ever have those numbers from manufacturers to better quantify that
impact. More current causes more heat, which is bad, but increasing an
inverter size to the next higher power rating available doesn't
guarantee that the larger inverter will be more reliable.

So that's a general response. As for your Power-One 250 vs Enphase 224
conundrum, if all else is equal but the power rating, then I'd probably
join you in choosing the Power-One. But as you know, there are other
factors to take into account-- [perceived] reliability, BOS cost (e.g.
more Enphase units fitting on a 20A breaker may save you a circuit), DAS
usefulness, resistance to corrosion, and the fact that Enphase operates
at a higher conversion efficiency in the lower half of its operating
range (where it spends most of its operating time). I am not saying that
Enphase is better than Power-One in anything but low-range efficiency--
I don't know one way or the other.

Efficiency Curves:
http://gosolarcalifornia.com/equipment/inverter_tests/summaries/Enphase%20M215%20IG-240V.pdf
http://gosolarcalifornia.com/equipment/inverter_tests/summaries/Power-One%20MICRO-0.25-I-OUTD-US-240.pdf

After all this discussion, it's pretty funny that the peak conversion
efficiency of the 250W Power-One micro occurs at... a 250W output. So
even though the marketing guys tell you you should only plug in a 265W
module, the engineers are clearly asking you to turn it up to 11.

"Do you, Mr./Mrs./Ms. Homeowner, want a PV system that produces as much
solar kWhs for your investment as possible?" isn't the right question to
ask. Try, "Do you, Mr./Mrs./Ms. Homeowner, want a PV system that
produces the best value for your investment?" Then show your super
impressive calculations, based on your years of experience, that your
recommended inverter is the best fit for them. Allowing for maximum kWh
harvesting, within reason, is the best design strategy.

Dave
5.376kWdc on a 5.000kWac, and loving it