[RE-wrenches] CIS mods

David Brearley david.brearley at solarprofessional.com
Tue Feb 19 07:51:04 PST 2013

It is confusing that they refer to this as a "light soaking" effect. When we worked on this thin film article in SolarPro magazine a couple years ago, a researcher at NREL referred to this specific phenomenon as a "dark soaking" effect (see discussion under "Performance Transients"):

http://solarprofessional.com/article/?file=SP4_1_pg34_Holz

It is certainly possible for the Solar Frontier modules to have a better specific yield as compared to c-Si PV under certain environmental regimes. However, to suggest that this is always the case seems like overzealous marketing spin, which shouldn't really surprise anyone. There is a kernel of truth, but it is extrapolated ad absurdum.

Bill Brooks likes to tell this joke/cautionary tale: "You know how to tell when someone in marketing is lying? Their lips are moving."