[RE-wrenches] Hawaii Frequency Settings

Marco Mangelsdorf marco at pvthawaii.com
Mon Feb 4 18:29:45 PST 2013

Take it from someone in the trenches out here in the Aloha State....yes, we
have to jump through these hoops.  The utilities here-HECO, MECO, HELCO and
KIUC-vary as far as what they require regarding verification and
documentation.  It's been my experience that HECO and MECO are more lax
whereas HELCO (even though these three are all owned by the same parent
company...Hawaiian Electric Industries) is more stringent.

The required frequency set points and trip delays can be found in the
December 2011 HECO Rule 14 paragraph h.  I can provide the document to those
who are interested.

marco

Folks,

I was told that because the HI grid has poor frequency control, grid-tied
inverters have to have their low frequency limit set to 57 Hz so they can
ride out the worst low frequency events.

I find it hard to believe that this has been done for every single inverter
installed in HI.

But, what do I know.

Can anyone shed some light on this?

Thanks,