[RE-wrenches] Husqvarna 5500 and VFX3524 Compatibility question

Ray Walters ray at solarray.com
Thu Jan 31 15:23:26 PST 2013

Funny that the good old SW inverters still have features that new
inverters haven't topped:  the (as mentioned) AC current input setting,
still the best gen autostart menu, dual AC inputs, and excellent
reliability.  I'm currently working on a project with an SW4024 that is
17 years old, and still working fine.  We're adding batteries, modules,
MPPT controllers, etc. but the inverter is not on the upgrade list right
now.
The SW plus however does not regulate AC input current as well, and I've
had the same issues with overloading small generators as with the
Outbacks.  Magnums also are hard to set, and I finally had to give up
using small (under 4 kw) generators with any of the newer larger
inverters.  Small genies seem to only work well with old SWs, or small
inverters with low charger draw.
Using a separate Iota charger (as some pointed out) is definitely an
option, but last time I used one, they were not UL listed or set up to
wire in a code compliant manor.

Ray Walters