[RE-wrenches] generator suggestions

Kevin Pegg kpegg at energyalternatives.ca
Wed Jan 30 12:31:05 PST 2013

Hi Todd,

When recommending generators to clients I make sure they understand operating costs to look at it full picture. Some care, some don't. But the reality is if the gen will get significant run time (100's or 1,000's of hrs) a year then operational fuel costs becomes much more significant than the capital cost of the engine. It does depend on your local costs for fuel, but propane engines in my experience are at least 2x the cost to run compared to diesel. Also good to check if there is a local service place in case issues with propane. Diesel mechanics are plentiful, propane not so much.

The Onan RS12,000 unit, the old style one was a proven performer. I have dozens in the field with up to 8,000 hrs on some units. That unit was abandoned and replaced with a new style I have not used.

I echo what most say re: Generac, but the off-grid model does appear to be about the best option available today.

Kohler makes really nice units too, high end with high end price.

Also remember to break that engine in according to the manual!! Critical. Not doing that properly can = a oil burner. I would set them up with a load bank and break it in at the shop before installing.

Kevin Pegg
Industrial / Commercial sales
EA Energy Alternatives Ltd.
Http://www.EnergyAlternatives.ca