[RE-wrenches] generator suggestions

RM You solareagle at solareagle.com
Wed Jan 30 15:13:33 PST 2013

I'm not a generator guy but had to supply a couple of generators for a contract last year. I had a look at the Generac EcoGen and liked what I saw. Additional reading confirmed that others felt positive about the EcoGen so I got a dealership. One year later here's my take on it - and unfortunately these generators I installed have not been run extensively (under 50 hours) so I don't have much real world experience with them.

One failed out of the box, couldn't get detailed service info from Generac as they only supply that to service level dealers, I am a retail dealer. Their recommendation was to call in a service tech who would service that under warranty. That was fine until you find out that the service tech, who has to travel a nine hour return trip to get to the site plus time on site would charge $1000+. The alternative was to pull the 500lb unit, haul it back to civilization and ship it to the service centre. Easily the same cost which is not covered by Generac. The problem seemed simple and I just needed some guidelines to troubleshoot but Generac would not give me access to tech support. I would have had to take the course for service tech level which required travelling to Wisconsin for a three day course, paying nearly $1000 in course fees plus airfare, accommodations and meals - maybe $3k total. And this requires re-certification every two years to maintain access to warranty parts and info.

Long story short I found a service level dealer who gave me some useful info and was good enough to supply some new brushes and a new propane intake valve. After two trips and a couple of 12 hour days I got it running but my confidence has been shaken both in the machine and the company.

there are a couple of good threads at this site for and against:

http://zillerstore.com/forums/search.php?searchid=112095

http://zillerstore.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2268

Ron Young
earthRight Products - Solareagle.com