[RE-wrenches] high insolation value and inverter undersizing

Randy randy at positiveenergysolar.com
Mon Jan 28 17:35:08 PST 2013

Hi Marco

Here is our experience with that knowing that we are at 6000 to 8000 foot
elevations.

We have seen significant differences in module delta temperature to ambient
for ground mounts vs roof mounts and that is where we become concerned about
oversizing the module or array.  For a ground mount on a nice breezy day
(especially in open areas or ridgetops) we have seen delta T’s at or below
10 degrees C. (SMA’s string sizing allowed you to select mounting type so
that delta T could be accounted for in sizing the inverter). Then add to
that high irradiance and a low coefficient of power module and you have the
perfect conditions for serious clipping.  I would say that it is
particularly true for trackers – maximum irradiance at 9:00AM until 3:00PM
with lower ambient temperatures during the morning.

We also see very low delta T’s with white roofs where albedo is high and
roof temperatures are low because of the reflected light.  In this case, the
decision on module size would depend on the tilt angle of the array relative
to the season’s high irradiance levels and ambient temperatures.

Thanks

Randy

Randy Sadewic

Positive Energy