[RE-wrenches] high insolation value and inverter undersizing

Marco Mangelsdorf marco at pvthawaii.com
Mon Jan 28 10:00:36 PST 2013

For that particular site, no.  As far as I know a database is not being
maintained.  That is, what you see at any given moment is what you get.  But
I will check.  Once we get into Spring and Summer with higher sun angles, I
will be able to see what kind of clipping would have taken place since I
have 245-watt modules on 300-watt micros.  (It's the one and only beta test
site in the state for these micros.)  Any time I see recorded outputs of 226
watts or higher, I will know that clipping would have taken place if I had
used M215s instead.

For me this boils down to several fairly simple points:
1) Clipping is not good since that represents harvestable solar energy that
does not make it to the end user.
2) So when the choice of clipping v. no clipping is presented, no clipping
is always, in principle, going to be the best choice.
3) Larger inverters--whether micro or string--are going to typically cost
more than smaller ones.
4) Does it make sense to pay more upfront for more inverter capacity and
reap the benefits of more delivered kWhs over time?

One can perform detailed equations until the ripe mangoes fall from the
trees (at least out here).  But from an intuitive perspective, spending
marginally more money upfront to minimize if not eliminate clipping,
especially in areas like the tropics which can have frequent and lingering
edge-of-cloud effects, makes the most sense to me.

And, really, pairing up a micro with a nameplate rating of 215 watts and max
output of 225 watts with a 255, 260, 265 watt or higher rated mod?  Does
that really pass the sniff test when there are not higher output micros out
there?  Put the choice to the consumer, educate them just a wee bit and how
do you think they will decide?

marco

@ Marco: does your weather data source have a database of insolation and
temperature over the year ?

Best Regards,

John Berdner
General Manager, North America

SolarEdge Technologies, Inc.
3347 Gateway Boulevard, Fremont CA 94538 USA  (*Please note of our new
address.)
T: 510.498.3200, X 747
M: 530.277.4894