[RE-wrenches] high insolation value and inverter undersizing

John Berdner John.Berdner at solaredge.com
Mon Jan 28 09:40:34 PST 2013

In a grid tied system the question becomes how much clipping and how often.
Intuitively we all know little clipping is probably ok but a lot of clipping is a bad thing.  How much is ok is the question.

Ultimately we should all be concerned with economics (LCOE / ROI).  The clipping experienced by one system design may or may not have a negative influence on LCOE compared to an alternative system designs.  We run LCOE analysis frequently and have a field in the spreadsheet for clipping losses.  For now we just use a fixed percentage but time of day metering makes this much more complicated. With TOD metering the value of energy varies both by time of day and seasonally so the energy lost to clipping can have a different value than the increased energy "on the shoulders".

Ideally one would look at the irradiance over a year and then do a distribution of the hours per year at various insolation levels.  In places other than Hawaii  you need to correlate irradiance to temperature since module power is varies with temperature (typically -0.5%/degree C), i.e. high irradiance on a hot summer day is less likely to cause clipping than high irradiance on a cold winter day.

@ Marco: does your weather data source have a database of insolation and temperature over the year ?

Best Regards,

John Berdner
General Manager, North America

SolarEdge Technologies, Inc.
3347 Gateway Boulevard, Fremont CA 94538 USA  (*Please note of our new address.)
T: 510.498.3200, X 747