[RE-wrenches] lithium batteries

John Berdner John.Berdner at solaredge.com
Fri Jan 25 06:32:18 PST 2013

Jay:

There are several lithium chemistries out there.
The exact voltages will depend on the chemistry but in general Lithium is around 3 V/cell.
I am liking LiFePO4 (China Aviation Lithium Battery - CALB) these days and they need:

Vnom = 3.2 V/Cell
Vcharge_max = 3.6 V/Cell (but this will require active battery management on a per cell basis).
Vcharge_max_good_idea = 3.5 V/Cell

Lithium is sensitive to overcharge and very bad things can happen if they are overcharged.
Active battery management and cell balancing is likely needed if they are to be stable over the long term.

Best Regards,

John Berdner
General Manager, North America

SolarEdge Technologies, Inc.
3347 Gateway Boulevard, Fremont CA 94538 USA  (*Please note of our new address.)
T: 510.498.3200, X 747