[RE-wrenches] Off-grid in Tanzania

Tump tump at swnl.net
Fri Nov 8 02:28:01 PST 2013

Adding UP..... ok so lets say that the SMA SI went south We now have 100+lbs of shipping, customs, delivery to site & installation oh yeah don't forget the returning of the old one verses Fed X of boards in a box that CAN be delivered by bike, and installed perhaps, not so easily for someone that is not experienced, but both can be handled by a less a experienced person. and yes there too IS the return of boards also to consider.
Installing both product lines AND my primary work is OFF grid, I am all to well aware of failures and the potential headaches they can create. Failure rate of both the SMA & OB is not excessive but I would be designing this type of system w/ future failure in mind.
On Nov 7, 2013, at 7:08 AM, Richard L Ratico wrote:

> It would be interesting to be able to compare the failure rates of the two
> systems, particularly if they will be installed in areas with challenging
> environmental conditions. Boards may be lighter, but.....If they add up, they
> may not continue to feel that way.
>
> Dick Ratico
> Solarwind Electric
>
> --- You wrote:
>

>> I use and sell the SMA product SI & SB line, I use the SI & SB for my own & I
> can't say enough good about the functionality of these units. I would suggest
> this product too BUT,.... sorry when they shit the bed AND THEY DO the outback
> line IS FIELD SERVICABLE! I have hefted a few SI on the boat, off the boat, up
> the hill n back down, boards are quite a bit lighter!
>> I would only go with a DP&W TOP mounted array. SHADE for folks/animals +
> reduction of possible theft & damage. They make it right and you DO get what you
> pay from  DP&W!
>> My $.02    TUMP
>> On Nov 6, 2013, at 9:07 PM, SunHarvest wrote:
>>
>>> Although it's more expensive, I'd go with AC Coupled SMA. Contact the owner
> of http://standardmicrogrid.com/ for more info on his recent work in
> Zambia...wait, I think he's there now. They have a pretty sleek set-up for a
> Sunny Island-based system, monitoring included. I'd go with ground-mount but be
> aware of theft (goes without saying, right?). You can also check out Volunteers
> for International Aid (VIDA) http://www.thevida.org/
>>>
>>> And hey, get me involved! It's been years since I've been to A-land and I've
> been trying to get back ever since. So much so that I've recently formed a
> non-profit, Good Sun, to go back to places like Africa and do good work for good
> people.
>>>
>>> My bags are packed...
>>>
>>> Eric Stikes
>>> Owner