[RE-wrenches] parallel stacking SW

William Miller william at millersolar.com
Thu Oct 3 22:48:53 PDT 2013

Mac:

I approached this problem some years ago and posted about it on this forum.
What I heard is that, yes, it can be done.  The actual process is known by a
few former Trace engineers and could not be divulged due to confidentiality
agreements signed when Outback split off from Xantrex (or Trace, if that is
what it was called at the time).  If you know a former Trace Engineer, you
might be able to wrest the information out of them if the stature of
limitations has expired.

Of course I was not satisfied with “this information is only is for some to
know,” so I worked on the problem.  My idea is to connect two inverters in
series and then feed them into the AC1 inputs of two more inverters in
parallel.  Since the SW inverters can provide true “Gen Support” mode, the
downstream inverters can assist the upstream inverters, therefore providing
the gross power of all four inverters.  See this page
<http://www.millersolar.com/MillerSolar/case_studies/case_studies.html>  for
a drawing.    Look about halfway down the page for Cascading SW inverters.

Now I have come up with some pretty strange ideas in my time, but I think
this is one of the more wacky, but actually possible solutions.  I never had
the chance to test this scheme, but I would love to know if it would
actually work.

William

PS:  Just as I was finishing this email I remembered the situation I was
trying to correct. The other idea is here:  Link
<http://www.millersolar.com/MillerSolar/case_studies/pv_school/pv_school_wir
ing_digrams.html>   I don’t recommend this technique for the reasons stated
on the web site, but there may the germ of an idea that may work.  It would
have to do with feeding a transformer from opposite ends with paralleled
inverters.  How to keep them in sync

Good Luck,

William Miller