[RE-wrenches] Energy usage for an electric car

Ray Walters ray at solarray.com
Fri Sep 27 15:05:26 PDT 2013

We did a charging station for a Chevy Volt earlier this year.  We
actually ran the charger for about a week to come up with the design,
based on their mileage ,etc. This also accounted for battery and
inverter losses.  We added about a 3400 w array (off grid) and they
drove about 40 miles round trip/ day.  We went with the 120 vac slower
charger to keep a slower and more efficient discharge rate of the main
system battery.  I believe that charging at slower rates is almost
always going to be more efficient due to Puekert's exponent.

R.Ray Walters
CTO, Solarray, Inc
Nabcep Certified PV Installer,
Licensed Master Electrician