[RE-wrenches] GEC sizing for a high amp, low voltage PV system with microinverters

Bill Brooks billbrooks7 at yahoo.com
Wed Sep 18 09:37:09 PDT 2013

Dave, Gary, and Charlie,

First, the directions from the manufacturer should be the guide as to
whether a GEC is required or not. Just because a GEC terminal is located on
the equipment, does not mean that one is required. Case in point-Enphase's
new IG product does not require a GEC, yet it has a grounding terminal for
AHJs that might insist on one. This terminal  is not intended for a GEC, but
it is intended for an extra EGC if the AHJ requires it (LOL on all the
abbreviations).

The 2014 NEC makes it very clear that ungrounded PV systems do NOT require
an GEC on the dc side and that the ac EGC is sufficient to provide a ground
reference for the required dc EGC.

"690.47(B) Direct-Current Systems. .An ac equipment grounding system shall
be permitted to be used for equipment grounding of inverters and other
equipment and for the ground-fault detection reference for ungrounded PV
systems.

"690.47(C)(3) Combined Direct-Current Grounding Electrode Conductor and
Alternating-Current Equipment

Grounding Conductor. An unspliced, or irreversibly spliced, combined
grounding conductor shall be run from

the marked dc grounding electrode conductor connection point along with the
ac circuit conductors to the grounding

busbar in the associated ac equipment. This combined grounding conductor
shall be the larger of the sizes specified

by 250.122 or 250.166 and shall be installed in accordance with 250.64(E).
For ungrounded systems, this conductor shall be sized in accordance with
250.122 and shall not be required to be larger than the largest ungrounded
phase conductor."

Red letters not Jesus' words. This is the new language of the 2014 NEC. It
is now in print.

The very practical reason that a 6AWG is only required with a single ground
rod has to do with the current carrying capacity of a 5/8", 8' ground rod in
soils of low resistivity-nothing more.

Bill.