[RE-wrenches] SMA Secure Power Supply

Daniel Young dyoung at dovetailsolar.com
Tue Sep 3 08:18:59 PDT 2013

For the well pump, you could get a small auto transformer to give you 240V
out of the 120V output. I have no idea how the ne TL-22's will handle the
pump though.

We've installed one 3kw unit thus far and are impressed. We've only powered
small items thus far, dewalt battery chargers, box fans, laptop chargers, no
issues there. We plan to experiment a little, trying to power a newer model
refrigerator off an extension cord. Also possibly a shop vac, to see if the
motor surge trips the SPS into some sort of fault condition. Will follow-up
on those if/when we decide to go there.

As for installation feedback, the units are easy to mount and the wiring is
straight forward when you read the manual first. The AC output comes off the
inverter angled slightly towards the wall, so you either need to use flex,
or bend your pvc/emt/grc to bring the conduit run back in line with the
mounting wall. The SPS is not a part of the inverter package, you must go
buy whatever components you want for setting up the SPS. We used a double
gang box, with a simple 15A light switch and duplex outlet, so it's no big
deal to walk into any supply house and get what you need on the fly if you
forgot to put it on the truck. It may be harder to get everything if you
need to mount the SPS outdoors, making sure everything is rated for the
purpose.

The DC connection between the DC disconnect and the inverter is only a 3
wire cable, which in counter intuitive at first for a system with 2 separate
DC MPPT circuits. But they bring the negatives of both circuits together
before going to the inverter (this is what I surmised after examining the
PCB inside the DC disconnect).

One thing that some installers may miss, especially if they don't read the
manual is that by default all the rotary dials that set the country,
language, grid-tie requirements, and communications ID# are set to 0-0-0. In
the US we need to change these to the appropriate settings based on your
preferences. The manual states that the setting are locked in after 10
operating hours, and an SMA code must be entered to change the setting after
that. The manual indicates that these settings may already be the "default"
for the inverter, requiring no changes, but when calling SMA tech support
for our first install they made it sound like we needed to use the rotary
dials to confirm the correct language, grid settings, etc.

Other things to note:

-          The new TL-22's require a neutral in all cases, unlike their
transformer based cousins. This makes them incompatible with 240V 3ph high
leg delta grid installations. (you can install them only on the 2 legs that
are used for split phase 240/120v making an imbalanced installation, which
may not matter depending on the size of service vs the array).

-          The inverters include DC surge suppression in the DC Disconnect
that is easily serviceable. This is a nice feature during a tightly budgeted
install. But we typically will install the midnight solar arrestors as well,
so we have a visual indication that the system is protected.

-          They are ridiculously quiet. (The spec sheet indicates this with
around 25db sound levels) When standing 2ft in front of the  inverter it
cannot be heard (at least by me) during operation (grid-tie and SPS modes).
If fact I could hear the mechanical kWh meter we installed to track it's
production ratcheting away clearly, but nothing from the inverter. The
inverter will make several "clicks" during the first 30 sec of startup when
the grid is turned on. I suspect this is the AFCI and other safety features
doing self checks before connecting to the grid. I have not been around the
inverter at dawn to see if these clicking noises happen every morning when
the array hits the startup voltage though.

-          If you turn the SPS on when the grid is up, it will not activate
and the inverter will continue to grid-tie. If you want to use the SPS
outlet, then you need turn the AC breaker off before hand, simulating an
outage.

That what I have after a 1 week runtime. If anything else of note appears,
I'll try to post it here on the wrench list.

Daniel Young,

NABCEP Certified PV Installation ProfessionalTM: Cert #031508-90

NABCEP Certified Solar Heating InstallerTM: Cert #SH031409-13