[RE-wrenches] PV Assist

Kevin Pegg kpegg at energyalternatives.ca
Fri Aug 16 16:38:20 PDT 2013

Hi William,

I have done many systems in identical situations & share your philosophy. Remote communities, work camps, highway maintenance compounds, etc...

I have used two general philosophies on batteries for these systems.

1. Cheap batteries, ie L16's. Cycle them hard and realize they will be dead in 18-24 months. Keeping them cool is the biggest challenge with multiple cycles a day. Special attention to air flow in battery box helps. One site was able to config the room so the cold air intake for generator passes through the battery bank. Worked quite well. Also good for billable hrs to be replacing batteries constantly.

2. Higher quality flat plate 2V cells. Spend more now, shallow cycle them to around 60-70% DOD, have the gens set to kick in based on high continual AC demand (and shut down when that load abates). Generally speaking the threshold for that is 50% of the inverter rating but each site is unique. Some sites I have the gen may kick in up to 6x a day, not full cycles. Some sites with predictable peaks ie camps have timers to run gen from 6-8am then 5-7pm, to coincide with meals. Though I prefer based on AC demand. More flexible to adapt to the conditions ie if the site is shut down.

For either config, a single point battery watering system is ideal, as uses a lot of water. Can be automated so the filling system pump runs for xx seconds at the start of each absorb cycle. I've had to go through a lot of junk & few dry cells to find one system that does this reliably.

Pricing wise over 10 years generally works out about the same, but cash flow is easier for cheap batteries, they just know they will have to spend a couple grand a year on batteries. They are saving 10's of thousands in diesel so still works out economically.

Generally speaking, inverter capacity is 50% of generator. Several 50 kW diesel / 30 kW inverter / 100 kWh battery systems out there. A larger system we put in 16 months ago uses 100 kW diesels, 60 kW inverter, 400 kWh battery storage.

I've worked with every inverter out there, and the SMA Sunny Island does the best job of properly charging batteries / and keeping generator runtime as low as possible. It can be set to short-charge batteries most of the time, ie shortened absorb stage and then every x cycles (defined) it will do a full charge. Find that is the very best balance between fuel use / battery life.

Solar PV (or other renewables) are easy add ons. Every kWh from renewables is saving diesel.

Hope that is useful.

Kevin Pegg
EA Energy Alternatives Ltd.
British Columbia, Canada.